Author: Rosemary Buckle, M.D.
This summer, thousands of Houstonians will head for Gulf beaches and beyond to enjoy some much-needed rest and relaxation. Wherever you go on summer vacation, you can stay in shape with these easy exercises, which can be done in even the smallest of spaces! (See the infographic from Swissôtel below.) While this list of exercises has been put together with on-the-go travelers in mind, they’re also great suggestions for anyone living in a tight space and without the time or money for a gym membership!
What Your Exercise Routine Should Cover
If you’re new to exercise and have any health conditions, you should always talk to your physician first before beginning a new routine. Generally, however, a well-rounded exercise routine should include stretching, cardiovascular activity (getting your heart rate up), and strength training/muscle building.
- Upward/Downward Facing Dog: These two yoga positions help stretch different muscle groups in the body. Upward and downward dog, along with other yoga stretches, are great for keeping the body limber and for loosening up for more exercise.
- Plough: This yoga position, named after the shape of the farm tool, helps stretch the body and strengthen the neck, shoulders, abdomen and other muscles in the back.
- Reverse Table: Also known as “crab,” the reverse table position gives a deep stretch to the upper body while strengthening core muscles.
- Squats: A classic resistance exercise, squats are great for building strength in leg muscle groups.
- High Plank Shoulder Touch: This exercise builds strength throughout the core and shoulder. It’s not an easy one, but offers some great benefits when done properly!
- Low Plank: Easier to pull off than the high plank shoulder touch, the low plank offers excellent core strengthening benefits.
- Mountain Climbers: The mountain climbers position, which starts from a high plank, is a great way to get some core strengthening, leg stretching, and cardiovascular all in one.
- Air Bike Crunches: This is another good option for getting all three components of a great exercise routine compressed into one move.
- Tripod: A few reps of tripods will get your heart going! Try this cardiovascular activity for burning a few calories in your next workout.
Develop An Exercise Plan With a Houston Sports Medicine Doctor
Have more questions about exercising on-the-go or at home? Schedule an appointment online or by calling Houston Institute for Sports Medicine and Orthopedics at (713) 756-5546. Your Houston sports medicine doctor can help develop a plan that’s right for you.
Please consult with your physician before undertaking any form of medical treatment or adopting any exercise program or dietary guidelines.