Author: Rosemary Buckle, M.D.
“May your days be merry and bright…” and safe this holiday season. Sure, holiday safety doesn’t have quite the same ring as an Irving Berlin tune, but some basic knowledge can help ensure you and your family make some wonderful memories together!
Holiday safety is a big deal – even in Houston, where we’re usually fortunate enough to not have hard freezes and ice during the holidays. The National Safety Council estimates there are approximately 15,000 holiday-related injuries seen in emergency rooms every year.
Here are a few tips from your Houston orthopedic doctor on preventing accidents this holiday season…
#1 Safe Holiday Decorating Tips
- Always use a ladder in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If hanging lights, make sure there are no exposed wires.
- Holiday decorating may result in more clutter than normal; be sure your décor won’t trip older adults or create unsafe pathways inside or outside the house.
- Place breakable ornaments higher on the tree, out of the reach of children.
#2 Fire Safety
- Make sure candles and fires are completely extinguished before going to bed.
- Only use candles on stable surfaces outside the reach of children.
- If using a turkey fryer, keep it at least 10 feet away from the house on flat ground. Be sure the turkey is completely thawed and dry, as water can cause intense bubbling (which may lead to a fire) when it comes into contact with oil.
- Confirm that your fire extinguisher works; be sure everyone in the family knows where it is.
#3 Holiday Parties & Traveling
- Ice and snow is possible for Houston this winter. Be aware of road conditions, and don’t drive if you don’t have to or are unconfident about your abilities.
- Always have a designated driver for holiday parties.
- If leaving Houston for the holidays, be sure that you and your vehicle are prepared for different weather conditions, such as snow and ice.
Holiday Safety With a Houston Orthopedic Doctor
If you found this blog helpful, please share it with your family and friends! And, of course, if you do have an accident, go to an urgent care clinic near you or call 911 for immediate medical assistance. If you need a non-urgent injury evaluation, our team at Houston Institute for Sports Medicine & Orthopedics is here for you. Call (713) 756-5546 to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic physician. You can also schedule your appointment online.
Please consult with your physician before undertaking any form of medical treatment or adopting any exercise program or dietary guidelines.